Custom Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

Hanging around in sleepy town

Monday, September 1, 2008
It's not often that I write about myself personally on this blog. I'm not too sure why, I'm definitely not averse to sharing or divulging information about myself...it's just that I haven't! But I've come to a point where I feel the need to share and ask for some help from a community I get so much inspiration from. I've only written about it once before, a long time ago but maybe I'll explain a little more now I've moved on a bit. I have something called m.e. or chronic fatigue, it goes by many names but to me it's something that causes exhaustion, of both body and brain! It's a strange feeling, only one I can liken to feeling a bit fuzzy, almost like a cotton wool filled brain (sounds almost sweet really!) and very tired a lot of the time. Now while I try to make the best of a bad situation by working freelance from home, which I enjoy immensly as it lets me work at my own pace and have access to all of the wonderful blogs and websites that I visit for continual inpsiration, it also makes life a little tricky sometimes. I know that working freelance in general can be a little isolated at times but when you feel tired when you wake up and unable to go out a lot of the time it can take it's toll on a girls social life! So I'm at the point where I'm craving a little interaction, something like work experience, or even a few mornings working somewhere. However, on approaching companies and explaining my sleepy situation I tend to get a kind reply explaining I'm not really suitable (if I get a reply at all, which is understandable given the situation). I'm generally a cheery little person but at times it can get a bit draining so I'm asking for a little blogger help and advice! I know it's aiming a little high to get a dream job somewhere but does anyone have any contacts that might offer a little hand of help? I love anything to do with illustration and am passionate about jewellery but also have a strange love of research. I could spend hours hopping from one blog to the next researching different ideas for illustrations, collecting information/pics etc but have no idea how this would even apply to a job!Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated. Or on a day like this a little cheer would go a long way :)Thanks for reading a long winded slightly self indulgent post...may it be the first of many :)

xxx

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

i'm not in your field so i can't help in that area, but as far as the job search, I would try a temp agency. A lot of companies go through them exclusively rather than placing ads themselves and you have someone at the agency working with you to find something suited to your hours, skills, etc. this is just my experience, but i went through a period of unemployment several years ago where i looked for a job for six months on my own with no luck, and a temp agency found me a job in two weeks.
hope this helps!

Make Do Style said...

difficult one in todays climate. I think you should keep the freelance but look to join a group who met up and sahre expereinces and contacts etc.

Also if you are into research then target companies like interbrand and others who rely on trends and info to keep ahead of the game.
good luck and just keep plugging away a break will come, mark my words!

Half-heard in the Stillness said...

Hello :~)
Cheer...cheer!! I'm just sending that little bit of cheer across the airwaves and seawaves and whatever other waves lie between where you are and where I am....another Chronic Fatigue victim, ooh don't like that word.. sufferer..ooh another nasty word! Well anyway just saying Hi!We call it M.E.in the U.K.I really love your blogs especially all your wonderful birdies.I know how difficult it is to put across to someone just how up and down this illness can be. I agree with 'Make Do Style' freelance seems to be a better fit, although there will be something out there, especially now that you've put your thoughts out into the ether! May I wish you a wooly brain free Christmas... that's wooly fuzzy foggy symptoms of course.. not a 'brain-free' Christmas!! :~))

I, Bejeweled + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio